Monday, January 19, 2004

Name Change Again? - Part I

Once again this blog may be in dire need of a name change. When io got a job, I declined to update the "unemployed" part to better reflect reality. And now I'm drying out for a month, on the wagon, intentionally sober, absolutley boozeless. So i'm hardly "Crazy, Drunk and Unemployed" anymore.

So all I really have these days going for me is the "crazy" part. I guess I can always plead insanity. If you think about it, when you're crazy you have everything. If you're crazy, you can decide you're drunk all the time and enjoy yourself. When you're crazy, you can convince yourself that your job is really a special study of the bizarre intricacies of office politcs.

It's been two weeks now, and let me tell you, they have been long ones. I stopped drinking on January 5th since I had a family birthday party on the 4th and the family wanted me to drink and celebrate with them. I never thought my folks would want me to drink more.

I'm now at then point where it's not all that fun anymore. At first, staying sober seemed like fun. It was a social experiment where I could be aware of other people's reactions to my being intentionally sober. But after the first Friday evening after a stressful and long week at the office and then fighting 50 miles of traffic in the rain and NOT have a relaxing drink, the novelty wore off with a vengeance.

One realization is how easy it is to relax with a little alcohol, coupled with how much I miss such relaxation. It seems that I have almost entirely forgot how to relax without a drink in my hand. I'm always tired, irritable and rather un-fun. It seems like this modern life needs some kind lubricant.

Upon relating my situation to a Irish friend of mine, she told me that she had tried such an adventure once and quickly came to the conclusion that just is not as interesting without the joy of booze. And it occurs to me that when it comes to dealing with alcohol, one should defer to the wisdom and expertise of the Irish...

Please stay tuned for Part 2... There's lots more on this subject...